YEL - Youth Engaged in Leadership
The Youth Engaged in Leadership or YEL program at Side by Side is open to LGBTQ+ and allied youth ages 14-20. This program provides a unique opportunity to acquire leadership skills through hands-on projects. Youth leaders in the YEL program are also responsible for coordinating the planning and logistics for Side by Side’s annual Alternative Prom. YEL meets Monday evenings from 6:30-8:00pm during the school year at the Side by Side Youth Center.
Through the YEL program youth learn:
The YEL program runs September-May. To apply for the YEL program please send your application to Lacette Cross.
*Applications for 2016/2017 are closed. Check back this summer for applications for next year!
2016-2017 YEL Program Overview
- Increase youth awareness of racial justice framework
- Improve youth leadership skills through engaging projects
- Discover LGBTQ+ history in Richmond and Central Virginia
- Contribute to the development of a trans informed sexual education curriculum in partnership with the Virginia League for Planned Parenthood
- Plan and execute the annual Alternative Prom
- Participate in EqualityVA's Day of Action
- Design at least one curriculum topic for use in Side by Side's LGBTQ+ & Trans Support Groups
- Develop and implement a social change campaign that reflects intersectionality
Topics to Explore:
- Social movements
- Handling conflict
- Mining our stories
- Racial Justice
- Liberation frameworks
- Identity politics